Skip to main content

Omnium Gatherum #89 Fear and Loathing, Xeniteia and Apoleteia On The Campaign Trail 2024: The Show Must Go On

Howdy, folks!

Welcome once again to the Omnium Gatherum.

Or, if you’re new here, welcome to the Omnium Gatherum.

What a difference even a couple of days is making in this Year of Our Lord 2024 A.D. Gregorian or Julian, 5784 Hebrew, or 1446 Islamic calendar!

As of this writing,, Joseph R. Biden, the 46th president of these United States of America, has officially dropped out of the running for reelection. With Election Day a little more than 100 days from today and his approval, Vice President Kamala Harris will become the Democratic Party nominee for president. That is barring any other developments like a floor fight at the upcoming Democratic National Convention.

I’ve mentioned before being a fan of President Biden as much as being a politics junkie. I find this day to be as sad as it is historic. It is a ignominious way to end his political career and life of public service but the writing was on the wall. Truthfully, to this Democrat, it had been on the wall since 2019 but to publicly admit as such was tantamount to declaring oneself a Republican in all but name as far as the party apparatus and faithful are concerned.

The cat is out of the bag now.

And with it comes the most interesting political days in the history of this country in a long time. Perfect of a politics junkie; I’m not so sure how the days to come will be for many people.

The stepping down from the campaign of the president doesn’t clarify anything. Already the Speaker of the House Mike Johnson has called for President Biden to resign from office, based on the logical conclusion that if he’s not fit to seek reelection then he isn’t fit to continue serving in office. By midweek, I’m sure that will become a talking point for the Trump Vance campaign, if not all Republicans. 

And I hope no one in the now Harris campaign expects her to go unquestioned about the president’s condition, what does or did she know, and when did she know it. Her usual poor tell when confronted by uncomfortable questions, that of laughing seemingly in a casual manner, will not serve her at this time. This is a time to be the adult in the room and she’s been nominated, pardon the pun. The laugh usually means she’s being evasive or disingenuous in her answers that follow; review her appearance on Charlemagne tha God’s show as a candidate for perfect examples. Doing so in the days to come will damage her credibility more than Tulsi Gabbard did during that early debate in the 2020 campaign. This is Prime Time and Kamala Harris, like it or not, ready or not, is now her party’s standard bearer. “Heavy is the head…”

In the meantime, these development while dramatic and historic and, for some, hysterical haven’t changed my position on voting in this cycle. Surprising as the stepping down of a president this close to the election is, I wasn’t surprised by it beyond timing. I’ve said as early as 2021, Biden wasn’t quite the man he had been even in the Obama administration and would likely step down to let Harris become president and/or candidate in 2024. Like my predication about political violence in 2020, this one is coming true much later than I thought it would.

For now, the die is cast.

The 2024 Democratic National Convention will either be the anointing of Kamala Harris as candidate for president or a bloodbath of a floor fight leaving whoever comes out of the ordeal bloodied but hopefully hardened enough to face off against Trump/Vance.

Meanwhile the Trump/Vance campaign will have days to weeks of campaigning on Harris’s weaknesses and inexperience, her possible culpability in a(n) (alleged) coverup of the president’s health, her race and racial politics, and calling for the president to resign.

I’ll be watching, fascinated as usual by the process.

And I’m still working on the Watchmen piece.

Until next time, folks!

Namaste, y’all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 26 of NaPoWriMo

And to send my first NaPoWriMo out in style, I'll do two poems a day. This was fun. Across Lands And Barriers Across lands and barriers do I reach, For someone to know. Someone who my open soul can show, A place upon my beach. It seems my heart has passed away To a beautiful one, With a life afire like the bright sun, And a smile for play. A pen to paper scribes many lines, For her, a love, A princess whose friendship is a dove, As truly is mine. So, an ode to she and I, the desire Across many lands, Reaches for bonds and joins our hands, Our hearts afire. Time And Space Across time and space there are many worlds, Many other homes where life whirls and twirls. Different in form and shape and size, Different to many different eyes. Yet all the same are the core, down in the soul, In the essence of life which is beyond our control. Which why two or more souls can touch and find Each other, finding their lives ever entertwined, Bound together in ways not easily explained, Bou

Day 27 of NaPoWriMo

Two more poems for today. The Mystery I think, therefore I am, it is said. Yet what is this that I am? For I think as I am an ego, And yet, I AM is the greater Self. So, as the Self does think Then it is therefore an ego, the Ego. So the conflict between the Self and the Ego Is silly, just as difference of viewpoint. So no difference at all. Just as ice and water are the same, It all depends on your perception. So the Self that thinks and feels Is the Ego; as I think Therefore I am because I AM. The Solution Two sides of the same coin, The ego and the self, High and low, Each defining the other As the way of defining the one. Yet the self is larger, The ego more focused and local. Still just as heart and mind And stomach can’t exist without the others, The self and ego need each other, To function, To rise, And to fall. Liberation and Manifestation, Two sides of the same coin, A cosmic circuit, Makes us human, fully human, Yet carrying the seed of the divine within.

Omnium Gatherum #83: A Mule And 40 Acres Of My Own: On Wish Fulfillment, Wakanda Forever, Woman Tragic Yet Triumphant, and Man Absent

  Howdy, folks! Welcome once again to the Omnium Gatherum. This one is going to be a blast from the past in the sense that I don’t have any kind of notes or mind map arranging how this column is going to go. For me, this is back to the old days of this column where I just wrote some hot take and let the chips fall where they may. And I resurrected the old banner title I used when I talked about issues of race in this space. I guess that means it’s time for old Papa Doc to put his Black Card on display (pay no attention to the demerits on the back of the card please!) and dive right into the latest mess happening in pop culture. Speaking of messes, look at how Marvel Studios dropped the trailer for the long awaited sequel to Black Panther during Comic-Con Weekend. All eyes were eagerly awaiting this trailer, to see how the studio and production moved on after the passing of Chadwick Boseman, the gentleman who brought T’Challa, king of Wakanda and the masked hero known as Black Panth